Saturday, February 7, 2015

Offer Suuport


Today I think it is important to consider how an interaction of support can change the world.  It is so easy to judge and much more difficult to help.  I see this often as a parent of a child with special needs.  Unfortunately, I find that there is much judgement and very little help outside of our doors.  Personally, all I can muster most days is to work and take care of my child's needs before falling into bed completely exhausted.  I don't have time and in the moments where I have a second to breathe I don't have the emotional energy to reach out.  My husband and I do want friends and social interactions, but most of the time we are simply in survival mode.  We know that from the outside people may have opinions or think their ideas are better or that their children have turned out better than ours appear to be turning out.  However, we also know that we have to parent the child that we have and not the child that we others think we have.  It would be so much easier to do this from day to day with a little support from others.  Sometimes support really is just being willing to listen.  It could be a text or email just to say that you still consider us friends even though we can't spend much time together right now.  It could be a smile or a hug or even saying something nice to our child.

Imagine what a difference it would make for someone to know they have your support.  It really does not need to be something huge.  The simplest things can have a really big impact on the world.  So today's challenge is to offer some sign of support to another person.  A kind message, a show of friendship, a random act of kindness, anything that let's another person know you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment